In this section
Section highlightThe People’s NHS Part of an initiative to engage the public in creating a safe and sustainable health service for the future.
Spreading the word »Action on the ground to increase learning materials in the medium of Welsh.Learn more »
First Minister’s call for action on the Welsh language
People from across Wales with an interest in the Welsh language are being asked to take action on its future in a national online conversation.
- Local Government Democracy Bill approved
- Minister welcomes report which could change shape and structure of education delivery in Wales for the better
- First Minister’s call for action on the Welsh language
In this section
- Business and economy
- Children and young people
- Culture and sport
- Education and skills
- Environment and countryside
- Equality and diversity
- Health and social care
- Housing and community
- Improving public services
Welsh languageWelsh-language technology and digital media action plan
The action plan sets out our commitment to drive developments in the field of Welsh-language technology and digital media.Learn more »
In this section
Section highlightAccess to information
The Welsh Government has followed the principles of openness in government for many years. Find out how you can make a freedom of information request or see requests that have already been made.
The Strategy for Older People in Wales 2013-2023 »The 3rd phase focuses on ensuring that older people in Wales have the resources to deal with the challenges and opportunities they face.Learn more »
- A new vision for a National Youth Work Strategy
- The future delivery of education services in Wales
- Consultation on Draft Technical Advice Note (TAN) 23 Economic Development
- Draft industrial and commercial sector plan
- Waste Prevention Programme
- Building Control system and Approved Document supporting regulation 7
Featured consultation »Improving access to substance misuse treatment for veterans
65 days left
In this section
Section highlightIndex of Planning Policy Guidance for Wales
Our land use planning policy guidance is set out in two core documents, "Planning Policy Wales" and "Minerals Planning Policy Wales".
Legislative programme 2012 - 2013 »
Addressing the Assembly in the Senedd today, the First Minister, Carwyn Jones, detailed the eight bills in the Welsh Government’s 5-year Legislative Programme that will be brought forward during the second year of the Welsh Assembly.Learn more »
Section highlightCommunity Infrastructure Levy
Local authorities can charge a Community Infrastructure Levy on new developments to support the infrastructure needed.
Infrastructure Investment Case Studies »
Examples of infrastructure investment projects funded by the Welsh Government across Wales.Learn more »
Many schools in Wales have also used the materials despite the differences in the curriculum models of both countries, and the pack being available in English only.
As evidence suggested that the approaches were effective and the resource had proven very popular in Wales the Welsh Assembly Government has adapted and translated the materials to ensure that they are widely available, responding to the many requests received from primary school and local authority staff.
Adaptations to SEAL Cymru
In adapting SEAL for the Welsh context, we have undertaken several changes as follows:
The documents reflect the Welsh education system – e.g. the introduction in Wales of the Foundation Phase; the Welsh curriculum; the bilingual nature of many schools in Wales – necessitated changing the structure of the pack:
- 1 booklet for the whole Foundation Phase to replace 2 for Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1 in England;
- The removal of the English curriculum based Core learning opportunities and Follow up suggestions at the back of the Blue, Green and Yellow sets.
It was decided that all external resources quoted in SEAL Cymru should be in print and available to buy. All references to out of print resources have therefore been removed. In some cases, new resources have been suggested to replace those no longer available to buy, and where possible, these resources are sympathetic to the Cwricwlwm Cymreig, and have an emphasis on the particular experiences of children in Wales.
In the Welsh-language version, many resources have been substituted for original stories and poems where that was possible. In KS2, a few English-language resources remain, to foster translingualism and because it was felt that the resource was particularly apt.
The structure of SEAL Cymru
This is a structured web-based whole-school resource for teaching social, emotional and behavioural skills to all primary school pupils.
A guidance booklet to assist schools in adopting SEAL (see bottom of this page).
Assemblies and teaching ideas for six whole-school themes (each theme to provide a suggested 6 weeks’ work):
- Theme 1: New beginnings
- Theme 2: Getting on and falling out
- Theme 3: Say no to bullying is a shorter (one or two week) theme which may be suitable for such occasions as anti-bullying week.
- Theme 4: Going for goals
- Theme 5: Good to be me
- Theme 6: Relationships
- Theme 7: Changes
Each theme includes:
- A theme overview: this includes assembly materials to introduce and conclude the work on the theme.
- Blue set: flexible lesson ideas for Foundation Phase children
- Yellow set: flexible lesson ideas for pupils in Years 3 and 4
- Green set: flexible lesson ideas for pupils in Years 5 and 6
- Silver set: small group activities to be used with children who need additional support (except for Theme 3)
- Purple set: staffroom activities to prepare staff to teach the theme
- Gold set: family activities to support the messages being covered in school
- Whole-school resource file: additional resources such as games, photocards and posters that support the lesson ideas.
The Whole-School Resource File contains additional resources such as games, photocards and posters that support the lesson ideas of the themes. To ensure access as soon as possible, this has been placed, in the short-term, as one downloadable file on the National Grid for Learning (NGfL) Cymru website.