Misusing drugs can lead to physical dependency (withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking it) or psychological dependency (you take it to make yourself feel good). Signs of drug misuse or addiction could include:
- Continually increasing the dose of drugs to achieve the same effect.
- A feeling of dependency on drugs, or a fear of stopping using drugs.
- Withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking the drug for a short time.
- Sudden mood changes.
- A negative or changed outlook on life.
- Loss of motivation.
- Poor performance at work or school.
- Problems with personal relationships.
- Borrowing or stealing money from friends and family.
- Being secretive about activities and actions.
Once you recognise that you have a drug problem, you should see your general practitioner. They can give you advice, support and refer you for specialist treatment.