Skip to content

Closure Of A5 Trunk Road Between Ty Nant And Dinmael (East Of Cerrigydrudion)

Related Links

Certain information on this site requires that you have the right software to view it. This page offers links to freely available viewers and readers.
Andrew Davies, Minister For Enterprise, Innovation And Networks
Members will now be aware of the decision to close the A5 between Ty Nant and Dinmael.

This decision has only been taken after an extensive programme of investigation over several years into the stability of a rock cut along this section of the A5 culminated last week in the completion of a risk assessment.
The risk assessment concluded that we have now reached a point where there is an unacceptably high risk of a rock fall leading to a fatality even with just one lane open and all practical mitigation measures in place.

The closure which takes effect from Friday 26 May at 21:00 will be carried out in a planned manner, which maintains public safety on all roads and the continuity of emergency services.  In the short interim period the cutting will be monitored continuously by inspectors at the site who can immediately stop traffic.

Officials are already working on a permanent solution to the problem. Whatever option is progressed will inevitably involve the mass excavation of rock requiring the acquisition of land and the appropriate environmental consents. Under normal circumstances this would take several years.  Officials are exploring ways to substantially reduce this timescale but at this stage in the developmental process it is not possible to provide a definitive statement on when the road can be reopened.

Measures are also being considered to minimize the impact of the closure.

An inspection carried out by the Assembly’s trunk road agents over the course of the weekend indicated that it may be technically feasible to re-open the old A5 to restricted traffic.  A final conclusion will be reached over the next few days once a further detailed inspection has been completed.  The timing of any opening however, would be dependent on the resolution of land ownership issues.  

Meetings are also being held with local authorities with the objective of refining diversion routes.

I hope to be in a position to advise members further on the timescale for re-opening the trunk road in the next few weeks.